[lbo-talk] Paris shut down

Paul paul_ at igc.org
Fri Mar 11 19:40:16 PST 2005

Ah Joanna, you are forgetting the flip side to a decorous European life-style. Thursday's news will not be out in Le Monde until Friday early afternoon (their time). Even their news website has a gracious pace. (Also many of the media outlets have been affected by the strike itself)

There were 150,000 demonstrators (police estimate) in Paris alone. Maybe 50 more demonstrations throughout the country. The strikes were mostly concentrated in public sectors, such as public transport and teachers have been particularly active.

In parallel there has been a series of very large demonstrations (hundreds of thousands by police estimate) by high school students over the last several months against a draft law to reform the education system. (How do you say No Child Left Behind in French?) They have repeatedly produced large numbers in the face of bitter cold weather the last few weeks.

Paul