[lbo-talk] Paris shut down

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Mar 12 11:04:47 PST 2005

>>I think this was all happening as the Olympics auditioning
>>commmittee was visiting Paris. I was a bit annoyed to hear that,
>>because I badly want New York to lose - enough of turning this city
>>into a theme park! Now Paris is going to look bad, damn.
>>Doug
>
>Don't worry. The mass demonstrations were perfectly coordinated
>with the IOC visitors so that their travel route was not only
>completely unimpeded by the demo but (according to yesterday's Le
>Journal evening news on Channel 25 in NY) even went more smoothly
>than it would have in ordinary Paris traffic. Only an arrogant
>billionaire prick like Bloomberg could imagine NYC as a plausible
>site compared to Paris.
>
>Shane

At the very least, the CFDT appears to be supporting Paris's candidacy -- its webpage about the March 10th mobilization <http://www.cfdt.fr/cfdt_action/negociations/articles/negociations_0051.htm> features the back of a T-shirt that says "PARIS 2012 -- ville candidate -- L'AMOUR DES JEUX," which seems to be the official design of Paris boosterism: <http://www.entreprises-paris2012.fr/Html/index.asp>.

Cops arrested an Olympics-loving proletarian:

"A man wearing a sweater in support for Paris's bid for the 2012 Olympic Games (news - web sites) is detained during a protest march through Paris, Thursday March 10, 2005. Protesters nationwide, answering the call of unions for a massive turnout to defend France's 35-hour workweek and to push for more jobs and salary talks, drew big crowds. (AP Photo/Francois Mori)": <http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050310/481/par13103101643>.

But aren't Olympics bad for the working class?

Security has become one of the biggest expenses at any Games, an undertaking that saddled Athens with a bill of an extra $1 billion on top of an already staggering budget.

New York, despite the painful lessons of 9/11, rates strongly in this category for several reasons. . . . New York City has agreed to foot the entire bill, a major headache removed from the organizing committee. . . .

Not insignificantly, the United States' demands were a big reason Athens was prompted to spend so much on security, so the I.O.C. would be more than happy to let an American city handle that burden.

After the Games: Bearing the Burden

Many Olympic cities struggle to cope with the lingering expenses of staging the Games. . . . Montreal spent decades digging out of debt from the 1976 Games. Sydney, site of the 2000 Games, pays about $34 million a year to maintain the stadium and arenas in its Olympic Park, now painfully underused. Athens has a huge debt and dozens of competition sites with few prospects for use. ("Behind the Bid: The Issues," <http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/20/sports/othersports/21olympics-issues.html?ex=1110776400&en=3009613ed635f30b&ei=5070&pagewanted=print&position=>, February 20, 2005)</blockquote> -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>