[lbo-talk] what? me worry?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 13 14:42:48 PST 2005

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>[The more I read stuff like this the more I think the bubble didn't really
>burst in 2000.]
>
>New York Times Magazine - March 13, 2005
>
>THE WAY WE LIVE NOW
>Our Currency, Your Problem
>By NIALL FERGUSON
>
>... Meanwhile, the United States may be discovering what the British found
>in their imperial heyday. If you are a truly powerful empire, you can
>borrow a lot of money at surprisingly reasonable rates. Today's deficits
>are in fact dwarfed in relative terms by the amounts the British borrowed
>to finance their Global War on (French) Terror between 1793 and 1815. Yet
>British long-term rates in that era averaged just 4.77 percent, and the
>pound's exchange rate was restored to its prewar level within a few years
>of peace.
>
>It is only when your power wanes -- as the British learned after 1945 --
>that owing a fortune in your own currency becomes a real problem. As
>opposed, that is, to someone else's problem.

The more I read stuff like this the more I wonder why anyone would respond when imperial bugle boy Niall Ferguson sounds the call to advance. What a great role model, the UK. The US, too, can aspire to be an imperial has-been with a corroded industrial base, overdeveloped financial sector and lingering delusions of grandeur despite being a mere lackey to the world's latest hegemon. Sounds great! Where do we sign up?

Carl