[lbo-talk] Churchill and Thomas Brown

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Mar 14 02:09:20 PST 2005

Sorry to chip in late, but it did seem to me that Thomas Brown's essay on Ward Churchill's smallpox claims was good coin. It does not help the left to have to defend overstated claims. There is enough evidence that the US military attacked native Americans without having to make up stuff.

I take the view that the critique of the USA from the standpoint of the now destroyed culture of the native Americans is moral posturing. There is no way to undo the colonisation of the Americas with any justice, any more than you could return Britain to the Celtic kings.

And criticising Churchill while he is under attack? Well, the essay was written before the Roosting Chickens controversy.

In any event, we ought to be able to defend Churchill's right to speak without defending what he says. I did not lose a lot of sleep over the loss of bond-traders in 9/11 either, but then they weren't all bond-traders. Just because Churchill gets into trouble casting the anti-democratic perpetrators of 9/11 as some kind of righteous cause, does not mean that we have to go along with what he says,