[lbo-talk] W gloats; Clinton cheerleads

Christian A. Gregory cgregory at triad.rr.com
Mon Mar 14 09:04:11 PST 2005

> When they say the only group that supports the plan is people in their
> 20s,
> it's probably no accident that that's the only group that was too young to
> have lost any money in the NASDAQ.
>
> Michael

This has been truly depressing to me. I was listening to a story on NPR in January in which they interviewed a bunch of "bright" 20-somethings about SS. To a one, they said not just that it would be weakened if we didn't do anything, but it would be gone, without any funds, when they retired. Maybe I'm naive, but I was dumbfounded. Was the USG going to lose the power to tax at all? Borrow money? If this were true, then the world would have changed so fundamentally that it wouldn't matter what they did, b/c there would be no "retirement" as we know it. But not a question from the NPR reporter. (This is not to bash NPR, which I find between okay and generally good.) Ugh.

Christian