[lbo-talk] neocon schism!

Eric Genrich ecgenrich at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 07:56:01 PST 2005

See James Mann's "Rise of the Vulcans" for a full discussion of this theme.

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:www.leninology. blogspot.com wrote:

>True, neoconservatism is more than unapologetic support for and
>defense of Israel and in that sense my thought was misplaced.
>However, it is also broader than the narrow historical outgrowth
>that DeLong describes, which is why it doesn't seem to me a
>particularly good reason to say that Summers is *not* a
>neoconservative.

Maybe it's pedantic of me to insist on honoring the distinctions in bourgeois thought, but nominating Wolfowitz to be WB pres is a neoconservative move. He's a rather different animal from Summers. Wolfowitz isn't big on markets - he's big on state power. Summers is big on markets (though of course it often takes state power to make them happen). In fact, the neocons were very hostile to the Clinton agenda because it promoted economic/internationalist values over military/national grandeur ones.