[lbo-talk] leftwing hate machine

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Mar 16 10:44:03 PST 2005

A friend of ours is pushing us to start a blog. OKey Dokey. As we were talking about which ones we read and why, he mentioned Glen Reynolds, etc. etc. and said he never read the lefty blogs because they were filled with hate.

Since I have to deal with this sort of thing everyday, I usually just shut my mouth and move on when I know arguing won't get anywhere. Yes, Carl, I'm one of those US wimps! :)

Now, my question is: What exactly about, say, Atrios or Daily Kos (the leftleaning equivalent of Glen Reynolds [I guess??]) is filled with hate? The key is, that it's filled with more hate than Reynolds? I know, I know, it's ideology. Whatever. I can't believe halfway smart people are that ignorant --that incapable of self-reflection or the capacity to see the big ol' plank in their own eye.

IOW, if I'm expecting that _they_ see how their own bloggers are "full of hate," then shouldn't it follow that I should try to do the same. Perhaps I haven't read Atrio and Kos enough, but I really can't see it as "hate".

And what about this "hate" crap anyway. Why has that become such a huge meme? (*sputter* I *hate* the meme meme!) Why is it the height of insult to claim someone is a 'hater'? It's very strange. So, I *hate* Ken DeLay. Whatever that means. I don't like Ken DeLay's politics. In fact, I *hate* Ken DeLay's politics. So? What? Am I supposed to respect them? Is this meme some attempt to play on what Wojtek rightly points out is a kind of guilty conscience among lefties -- were afraid to play dirty (even though a rightwinger will tell you that lefties are masters at it and, after all, Horowitz learned it from the left!)

anyway, just rambling questions/thoughts.

s.s.