[lbo-talk] leftwing hate machine

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 13:02:07 PST 2005

That's exactly how it is in my family. Whatever suppressed rifts there were between family members seemed to grow exponentially in March, 2003, when the Iraq war began. At the point the right-leaning family members became solidly right, and the liberal-leaning members cemented themselves solidly into liberal positions. Now I don't discuss politics with anyone in my family unless I know they're already generally on my side -- sort of like talking into an echo chamber, or like posting here, har har.

What flips me out is when you will hear the most insane reasoning coming from folks who support Bush, etc. "I'm not voting for John Kerry, because a vote for John Kerry is a vote for Michael Moore!" as my girlfriend's mother said. I have absolutely no idea how to even start with statements like that. you need a minute or two justt o figure out the reasonign behind it.

-B.

----

Chuck0 wrote:
> Not only that, but political discourse is dying. How
many of you can
> have a political conversation with a right wing
supporter of Bush?

> In my own family, most of us have strong political
views, but we no
> longer discuss politics. My father's politics are
colored by a decade of
> listening to Rush Limbuagh. My little sister is a
Young Republican and
> thinks that Ronald Reagan was a great man. The
oldest sister is a

"I'm not too worried by hegemony / I know the cadre will look after me" - Magazine, "Model Worker," 1978