[lbo-talk] Gas prices 2nd highest level ever

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 16 22:18:26 PST 2005

> --- jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
>
> > When gas prices rise people do less distance driving
> > and sometimes combine trips a bit more
> > efficiently than they might otherwise but would they
> > be less likely to buy a widget or groceries
> > at Wal-Mart than elsewhere? Unless it is because
> > Wal-Mart's have tended to cluster at the
> > peripheries of cities and are less convenient than
> > other places?
>
> There's Walmart's clientel being poor, and I bet gas
> has priority because without gas, a lot of people are
> going to have a hard time keeping a job. Widgets get
> cut first. Then I understand the food pantries are
> having a hard time meeting demand....
>
> Andy

This suggests Wal-Marts customers are poorer than Kmarts. I have a difficult time imagining that. I know Wal-Mart claims the average household income of their customer is $42,000 compared to Target claiming theirs is $49,000 but Targets sales are up 16%. Family Dollar Stores, which I imagine have lower per customer average household incomes than Wal-Marts, have sales up 10%. Wal-Mart claims they are behind the average but their sales are up 11%. Nationwide retail sales grew 6.7% in 2004 according to the National Retail Federation.

Is there something here I don't get? How Wal-Mart "knows" their sales are off because of gas prices is beyond me. I think they're just saying whatever sounds good and blaming gas prices is as good an excuse as any. I know gas prices effect retail sales but without more proof I won't believe Wal-Mart is hit disproportionately compared to Kmart, Target, Family Dollar, Sears and others. Maybe I'm being overly obstinate but I don't buy it yet just because Wal- Mart claims it's true.

John Thornton