[lbo-talk] Oil touches $57 per barrel, many OPEC members at or above capacity

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Mar 18 08:41:39 PST 2005

I've wondered for a while if this isn't some sort of back-room deal. "Letting" oil get this high really helps Russia, right? And it would be helping Iraq if the US could get it's act together. And of course there have been rumors for a while that Saudi Arabia was in trouble cash-flow-wise, so that should help some (despite the more level headed around who are right to be a little scared of it). But who is it really killing? Dinosaur airlines, who deserve to die anyway, for one. And some people in the US (though really, even $3/gallon isn't enough to stop the SUV crowd) are affected. It does make opening up exploration in Alaska look better to some fence-sitters. And it does provide the push that people have talked about for years about developing the more expensive bit of oil that's out there but as of yet untapped. It seems pretty clear that this is also being helped along by the big specc funds: if you aren't long oil and looking for more leverage, you aren't making money this year yet :-)

But maybe I just haven't had my coffee yet.