[lbo-talk] Hundreds hit the streets in Olympia, Washington

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 21:14:29 PST 2005

Probably close to a thousand. (Easy count: check the Olympian in the morning an double it).

Highlights: Women In Black and Code Pink decided to do a joint effort: result Black Dress, carrying a coffin, but with pink veils. Very striking, very Perky!Goth.

Man who heads our local Green Party, wore a red white and blue Uncle Sam Hat that had been modified into a Jesters cap. Not much else notable about what the men were wearing, other than a very colorful selection of umbrellas.

As is usual in Pacific Northwest demos we had the dog of peace. Large numbers of dogs equipped with peace signs. Ditto babies and toddlers.

Lot's of Veterans. Our local peace groups made an effort to get veteran speakers ; but we had a lot of veterans in uniform in the march and rallies as well.

Cindy Corrie was present; probably others in the Corrie family too, but I did not spot them.

Minor grump about a particular speaker: I don't buy the line that anyone who ever bought a gallon of gasoline or bought their clothes new rather than used is guilty of this war. Firstly the "we are all guilty trope" is a way to absolve those who are really guilty. Secondly if I am guilty, pick some time other than when I have just marched and stood around for two hours in the cold rain to tell so.

Sorry - brain not actually working well right now. Came home from demo to and wore myself out with chores. Superficial fashion commentary ,disconnected observation, and minor grumps is all you get. There is a reason I normally leave demonstration reporting to others.