[lbo-talk] M19 in New York City

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Mar 20 08:49:10 PST 2005

Nathan Newman wrote:

> Why shouldn't activists concentrate on electing antiwar politicians as a
> more effective use of their time and money than going to a random rally
> with no strategy. What's your argument for why someone should go to a
> rally against the war? What is the plan? What will it accomplish? In
> what way will such a rally cause Bush to change his policy?

You have a point about these rallies having no goal or strategy, but more antiwar activists these days are doing more effective activism like interfering with military recruitment.

Nobody is going to work on electoral politics now or in the near future. You underestimate how disempowered people are after the Democrats screwed them last year. Tons of people have just disappeared from activism. I guess that's what you get when you waste money and resources on a party that isn't any different than the existing war party.

Besides, the world needs something more radical and immediate than another bad dance with the fucking Democrats. The American Left has wasted its time for the past thirty years with the Democrats. The Democrats can't get elected, their politics are the same as the Republicans, and they are just another party of the ruling class.

Perhaps the Democrats shouldn't run a millionaire next time.

Chuck0