[lbo-talk] They are not like you and I...

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 18:47:44 PST 2005

On <Sunday, March 20, 2005 3:17 PM>, <Bill Bartlett> <billbartlett at dodo.com.au> raised the antenna to broadcast depth and busted *this* wacky shit out into the Matrix:

----- Original Message ----- From: Bill Bartlett To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org ; leigh_m Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2005 3:17 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] They are not like you and I...

At 12:49 PM -0800 20/3/05, Leigh Meyers wrote:

>The rich & powerful, that is...
>
>Pick of the Week:
>
>The Scotsman:
>
>Sir Peter's taste for swan has him fall foul of law
>Rated 3 in topic General; Politics; Humor; Philosophy; History
>>From news.scotsman.com on March 19 at 11:03 PM
>http://www.furl.net/item.jsp?id=2347299

Its nothing to do with rich vs poor, the people who are not like you are those of us who live outside big cities and grasp the connection between animals and food, and those who just don't get it that meat comes from animals and all animals are potential meat. <...>

It has everything to do with power... and rich? ...that goes with the territory. The game laws read about the same in the US, although in most rural places "roadkill" meat is either donated to charity or returned to the finder after proper reports are filed.

Usually the former.

It's quite presumptuous of you to assume that people that live in cities don't know the source of the food they consume, and country people do.

... By extension.. do country folks have less interest in a trip to McD's?

Hell no!

Do they know where *that* meat comes from?

I think not...

It's a big deal for someone who lives in the boonies to get into town for greaseburgers, and people in the cities pay *premium* prices for venison or rabbit, or squab. Very few people in the western world live by hunting and gathering any more, and the last guy I went hunting with (a Vermont native) took a potshot at every songbird he could fix in his sights.

He would have nailed that swan with the first shot. (heh)

And no, he didn't eat them... although they were quite "tenderized".

On the other hand, I'm originally from NYC and I've eaten everything I have ever intentionally set out to kill, and an occasional roadkill, too.

L http://www.leighm.net http://www.furl.net/members/leigh_m/rss.xml

PS... Get a sense of humor

-30-