[lbo-talk] M19 in New York City: No Troops, No Wars

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sun Mar 20 20:09:44 PST 2005

---- Original Message ----- From: <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net>

> Final votes don't matter; what matters is all the maneuvering up to that
> point.
>
> Nathan Newman

-I pretty well agree with much of what you wrote except this gem. Final votes do matter. All the -behind the scene maneuvering and/or good intentions mean nothing if our elected officials vote -to fuck us over.

But the point is that by the time the final vote comes, all the fucking over has already happened. Laws are rarely won or lost on the final vote-- it's points of order, cloture and other procedural votes that are the key points of decision-making.

Nathan Newman