[lbo-talk] Hundreds hit the streets in Olympia, Washington

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 21:22:34 PST 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:10:18 -0800, martin <mschiller at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Mar 20, 2005, at 2:44 PM, Gar Lipow wrote:
>
> > We could get much of our low and medium temperature heat from solar
> > energy. That still is not going to match the 98 quads we consumed in
> > 2000, much less matching the population growth to the present and into
> > the future. But we could get 30-40 quads total.
> >

> What percentage (of the '98 quads') is given up to transmission loss?
>
> Martin

Not taking time to look it up, so from memory about 35% of energy is used generate electricity. I think as much as 10% of that may be trqnsmission losses. But if we are going to use wind to provide half our electricity those may go up rather than down. Because there plenty of large cities 500 miles from the nearest wind source. (I think pretty much all of the U.S. population, possibly excluding Alaska is within 500 miles of class five wind sites or better.) Much more significant are losses from conversion of heat to electricity. If half our electricity came from wind that would go way down. The rest of the mix would be hydro, geothermal and biomass. The hydro and geothermal would have to travel even further than the wind electricity. Because they are good baseline sources, which you need for a reliable grid and which wind is not. Even with efficiency improvements hydro and geothermal would not provide the other 50% you would need for a realiable grid. This is where biomass comes in; and it could probably do what you are thinking of - decentralizing generation, increasing thermal efficiency (because you can use highly efficienct mass produced generators and then use the waste heat for low temperature purposes) and reducing transmissions losses (because they are closer to where you use the power.)

Now you may note that I did not mention solar electricity. That is because PV electricity is still around 25 cents per kWh to produce. Wind electricity is now produced in the U.S. for 4 cents per kWh. (Documented by the IRS.) Even with transmission costs, using wind to provide half of U.S. electricity (again maybe excluding Alaska) would make sense.

-- Please note: Personal messages should be sent to [garlpublic] followed by the [at] sign with isp of [comcast], then [dot] and then an extension of net