[lbo-talk] Hundreds hit the streets in Olympia, Washington

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 12:56:12 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:50:01 -0800, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:
> > Wind electricity is now produced in the U.S. for 4 cents
> > per kWh. (Documented by the IRS.)
>
> Er ... isn't that a misleading figure? The IRS cares about this number
> because it's used to figure out the tax credits involved: the actual
> "cost" is much higher.

Not out of line with the normal figure which is given as between 4-5 cents per kwh. But I think that to the extent people lie, the incentive would be to report high rather than low. Reporting an increased cost does not lower the incentive you receive, but does give you a higher cost to deduct as a normal business expense for calculatin net business income. So it seems to me that there is no incentive to under-report and (unless you are losing money and never expect to make it back) a strong incentive not to.