[lbo-talk] W gloats; Clinton cheerleads

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 22 05:39:55 PST 2005

Nathan Newman wrote:

> [...]

This didn't sound right to me, so I asked Dean Baker, who lives & breathes Social Security, what Clinton's SS schemes were - to use today's language, carve-outs (diversion of SS taxes into private accounts) or add-ons (creation of private accounts in addition to existing SS arrangements). Here's Dean's answer:

>Bill never put anyhting on the table -- Monica's blue dress got in
>the way. The conventional wisdom inside the beltway was that he
>would have proposed a carve-out, but you won't find this in writing
>anywhere. he did propose a separate add-on account, which never went
>anywhere.

Doug