[lbo-talk] Re: terri schiavo

louis kontos louis.kontos at liu.edu
Tue Mar 22 18:24:00 PST 2005

i take it, from your reference to taking a gun, that you would not support a painless end, e.g., morphine overdose? many of us have had to make the choice between letting our loved ones suffer versus helping them die. i was fortunate enough to able to make this decision, with the help of doctors and hospice workers, without the scrutiny of moral hypocrites, political opportunists or clueless others. what i've heard about the shiavo case is that the husband stayed with the woman several years in her parents' house, where all of them tried to take of her until deciding (i.e. the parents too) that her needs were unbearable to them as her condition (i.e. a vegetative state) worsened. i've also heard that the husband tried everything that might improve her health and quality of life, including experimental treatment, and that he's done right by her from the beginning. if this is all correct, then it is not only wrong to judge him but criminally immoral for anybody to stand in his way.