[lbo-talk] Re: terri schiavo

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue Mar 22 17:43:48 PST 2005

Jim wrote:

>Well, if one can call living without a functioning cerebral
>cortex, being "healthy."

Weren't we talking about the capacity to suffer while starving to death? There is another case I know of to be mentioned. Elizabeth Bouvia is a woman living in CA who has cerebral palsy who got the legal "right to die" by challenging the law. Since1986 the Bouvia court decision gave the individual the right to determine one's medical care i.e., to refuse medical treatment in the state of CA. Bouvia is in pain and on a morphine drip. She never died as planned, however, because she said it was too painful to starve herself to death, even with the morphine. So I don't buy it that people who have food and water taken from them "don't suffer."

Marta