[lbo-talk] Hundreds hit the streets in Olympia, Washington

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 18:30:56 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:44:33 -0500, tully <tully at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 20 March 2005 05:44 pm, Gar Lipow wrote:
> >We cannot change the world by "not providing a
> >market".
>
> The purpose of boycotts, embargoes, and sanctions is to not provide a
> market. Green purchasing has increased the organic food and
> alternative energy markets while recycling reduces markets for raw
> material. Each growth in these alternatives deprives the traditional
> sources of that much of their market. In time those other markets
> can disappear completely, like the turn of the century market for
> women's feathered hats.

And pesticide laden petroleumm grown food is now so rare <g>,

><snip>. I think we're already seeing how reduced
> consumption is depressing the economy's rebound as fewer people
> either have the means or the will to consume at previous rates.

Giving the voluntary simplicity movement credit for this is like giving the Iraq invasion credit for the anti-Syrian demonstrations in Lebano
> >So take the case of transportation. What can you do as an
> > individual? Buy a diesel car, and run it on biodiesel, knowing you
> > are using five to twenty times as much as could be used sustainably
> > if this was done widely?
>
> I don't understand what your "five to twenty times" is referring to.
> A bit more fossil fuel is required to make a gallon of diesel over a
> gallon of gasoline, but when common rail diesel engines can make a
> peppy car that gets 60-80 mpg, and when B100 (100% biodiesel) reduces
> particulates by 70%, carbon monoxide by 50%, total hydrocarbons by
> 40%, sulfates by 100%, over standard diesel fuel

I'm not arguing against biodiesel. I'm arguing you can only make so much sustainably. Putting it into 60mpg cars won't stretch it out far enough. You have to get more efficienct than that. Ultimately the only solution is a mixture of electric trains (far more efficienct thany any care can be, electric cars, (not as efficient as electric trains, but usable in areas where they are not) and plug hybrid ultralight biodiesel driven cars (not as efficient as electric cars, but with the longer range that comes from carrying their own fuel, and still able run off battery for short trip.

> >But in most of the U.S. you don't have sustainable
> >transportation available.
>
> Because we're spending all our money being imperialists trying to
> control the last of the oil reserves.

My point. You need political change. Also to answer a point I snipped, the European biodiesel though many times ours still produces about 5% or less of auto fuel consumption for Europe. You cannot use biofuels as your primary transporation fuel without a huge increase in efficiency - which requires political change.

<snip>
> those who buy 2000 sq. ft. houses with vaulted ceilings for only 2
> people, each commuting in separate SUVs. Do you know people like
> this?

Again the point is that it is individually rational for people to make those decisions; it is *socially* irrational We subsidize suburbs at the expense of cities, in a huge number of areas - highways, water, schools, then express disapproval of people who make what seems the rational decision for them - given the incentives we are given.

> >But he
> >solutions are social solutions, not individual solutions.
>
> Doesn't it have to be a combination of both? Isn't the individual
> aspect why we still experience traffic jams in cities that do offer
> convenient and even cheaper mass transit?

Nope - there is no major metropolitan area that everyplace is accesible by transit conveniently and easily. I guarantee you there are place in the greater NY city Metropolitan area that are easier to access by car than by mass transit even if you have to pass through Manhattan traffic jams to dos. If you are familiar with the city you can tell me what they are better than I can. And NY has the best public transit in the U.S. (which is still a joke compare to Europe.)

> we need to "make the switch" to alternatives and we need to do it
> fast, while there is still enough fossil fuel to support the
> transition phase. Otherwise things could get real ugly, real fast.

Which you will not do through individual action. It does not work unless the whole society does it. Individuals trying to opt out one at a time does not change society

> >And you know what? Most people in the U.S. would support this; at
> >least every survey has shown this. But it is strongly against the
> >interest of the owners of capital. Not just the car and auto
> >companies. Capital in general hates the idea of more taxes for more
> >public works and more regulations to tell them how to spend the
> >money they extract from ordinary people.
>
> Isn't this a major reason why we can't depend on political solutions
> and must rely instead on the collective force of individual
> solutions? We won't get solutions from politicians.

Nope you get the solution from social movements which grow big enough to force politicans to do what they want. Don't like the odds. Trying to "starve the owners of capital into submission" will be worse.

Here is the bottom line. We have locked a certain amount of global warming in already. If we stopped consuming fossil fuels tommorrow, we have already locked in centuries of climate disruption that will make the planet less hospitable to human life. But the irreversible changes are small enough that we can adapt to them, and survive. We somewhere between ten and forty years to phase out fossil fuels (not begin phasing out fossil fuels, but finish phasing out fossil fuels) before we lock in a lot more, lock in the planet to a permanent rapid state of climate disruption - to the point where you can no longer count on having a climate, but only weather. To the point where maybe weather changes will be so random and extreme that you will need glass houses to create environments with stable enough climates for agriculture. The odds are pretty steep against us making the changes in time. But political movement building is still a hell of a lot better shot than trying to persuade a large portion of the population to voluntarily live on $5,000 per year.