[lbo-talk] Re: terri schiavo

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 22 19:23:04 PST 2005

Carl Remick wrote:

> >From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
> >
> >jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> > >
> > > the RA.
> >
> >Huh? I'm beginning to suspect that my problem with initials and proper
> >names, though long standing, may be connected to the TIAs I've had. It
> >has, I think, gotten worse recently.
> >
> >So remember, everytime you use an abbreviation you are posting a momenti
> >mori (sp?) for Cox.
>
> Acronyms are a bear for everyone. Here, for instance, I was confounded to
> see you seemingly ascribe your problem to all the Thanks In Advance you've
> received. A bit of Googling set me straight: Transient Ischemic Attack.

:-) Laughed out loud in fact.

Actually, I considered translating TIA but thought it would be fun not to!

"Ischemia is a condition in which blood flow (and thus oxygen) is restricted to a part of the body." So a TIA is a minor stroke which (at least apparently) causes no lasting damage (hence transient). About an hour ago as I was reading the NYRB I suddenly felt a sort of ephemeral cramp in my right third & fourth fingers, and (possibly) a bit of numbness in my right cheek. The first three times this happened, I went to the ER. But then I decided what's the point of having $1000 worth of tests with the result being, "Yes,you had some numbness in your right cheek." My neurologist agrees it's pointless. So I take my daily Plavix & hope.

Carrol