[lbo-talk] Make my day in the Giant Wang

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Mar 23 10:58:13 PST 2005

http://www.blogwood.com/archives/001086.html

Backed by the National Rifle Association, the proposed bill also would have let Jay Levin, the suburban Boca Raton accountant who shot and killed a teenager playing a door-knocking prank, walk away without being prosecuted.

Under the proposal, people aren't required to retreat ­ back down or run away ­ if they are in fear that a person would attack or commit a forcible felony on them in any place a person "has the right to be." Potential victims can "meet force with force," even if it results in death, and not face criminal charges or civil lawsuits.

Supporters of the legislation speak mainly about what they call the Castle Doctrine aspect of the bill ­ the right to protect one's home with deadly force. Similar laws letting people use deadly force if people break into their home are on the books in other states, including Oklahoma and Colorado, where it's dubbed the "Make My Day" law.

But critics in Florida point out that the proposal also extends the right to shoot in self-defense beyond a person's front door ­ onto the porch, into their vehicle, and out on the street.

more at http://www.blogwood.com/archives/001086.html

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling