[lbo-talk] Finkelstein Slimed

Bryan bryan at indymedia.org.il
Thu Mar 24 05:01:32 PST 2005

Yah, most of it revolving around the Teddy Katz affair: "http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2002/2002-May/012078.html"

Jim Farmelant wrote:

> As I am sure that you are well aware, the administration
> at Haifa University has long been hostile to Professor Pappe.
> As I recall, they attempted to oust him from his chair a
> couple of years ago.

as to Steven Plaut fellow:

> Steven Plaut, needless to say, is extremely hostile to
> Pappe.
> http://israpundit.blogspot.com/2002/10/steven-plauts-thoughts-emailed-to-
> me.html

Funny thing is, he really is under the radar here in Israel...he doesn't write articles for any of the major hebrew dailies or well known journals...found a couple hebrew articles in some obscure journals (one where he explains how all environmentalists speak mystical extremist garbage) he's more or less a nobody here except in some english publications among the settler crowd.

I asked around to other known Israeli leftists and they drew a blank on him, and even asked some right wing acquantinces and they also didn't know him...

While it seems he has a higher profile in the US as with his articles in the National Review.

But he definitely does seem like a nutcase...

looking at his blog, I found this screed on Indymedia Israel and the investigation against me. What a complete whacko... (by the way, happily, I heard from my lawyer a month ago and read in Ha'aretz and Yideot that the gov. finally decided to close the case against us...after only 16 months...but I haven't gotten my comptuer hard-drive back nor a official letter from the police that the case is closed...so now my lawyer is back trying to put pressure on them to make good on what they promised...case closed, hard-drive back and the copy of the hard-drive they kept erased)....

anyway, here is what Plaut wrote.

From Steven Plaut:

"This past November saw a quiet but significant victory in Israel over the treasonous Far Left. Some Israeli extremists were operating an Israeli branch of the "Indymedia" web network, which is a network of dozens of Marxist-anarchist web sites all over the world who devote their days to the singing of praises of communism, terrorism, the International Solidarity Movement of Saint Pancake, violence, and anti-Semitism. The one operating out of Israel was famous for its posting messages praising suicide bombers, denying the Holocaust, posting messages mocking Judaism and the Bible and otherwise anti-Semitic harangues, not mere anti-Israel pieces. Its managers claimed they did not pick the pieces and that it is open web publishing where anyone can post trash, but the fact of the matter is that they regularly censored anything on the site that was PRO-Israel and deleted it, leaving up the nazi screeds, this at www.indymedia.org.il . In November they ran, alongside their other filth, a cartoon showing Ariel Sharon French kissing Hitler. Some people were outraged and filed a petition with thr Attorney General to shut the site down. It has been successfully shut down ever since, evidently thanks to a court order, although recently a new substitute site just opened at israel.indymedia.org (you might want to stop in to post some pro-Israel material there to annoy them). For months, ever since the original Israel Indymedia web site was shut down, its URL carried a message in English and Hebrew from this same ACRI protesting the shutting down of this suicide-bombing-cheerleader web site. I guess the ACRI supports free speech only for leftist traitors..."