[lbo-talk] the Green Nazi platform

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Thu Mar 24 11:12:05 PST 2005

joanna bujes wrote:
> Yes, the worship of "nature" can conceal and transform a lot of things
> that would horrify us otherwise.
>
> Crack open any book by De Sade and you will read long paens to Nature.
> He will explain to you how it is natural that the strong should enslave
> the weak and how it is natural that the strong should act out whatever
> natural whim presents itself. Most people skip the philosophical parts
> of his writings, but they present as good a summary of nature-based
> "fascist" thinking as you can find. He spells out what most green Nazis
> leave unsaid.
>
> Nature is a good cover for racism -- we'll all be separate but equal --
> basing a needless separation among humans on the perception of the
> natural separation among the species. Nature is a good cover for
> tyranny, substituting meritocracy for justice and democracy Nature is a
> good cover for murder, substituting the notion of clean genes or clean
> blood or whole bodies, for the notion of compassion.

so, what are we to conclude? hopefully not this: be suspicious of those who worship nature or promote environmentalism? but rather: be wary of the illogic of certain arguments based on nature. but then, that's a good warning in the general case: always examine the logic of any argument.

environmentalism has nothing to do, AFAIK, with the naturalistic fallacy. to address them conjointly is, IMHO, an act of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

--ravi