[lbo-talk] the Green Nazi platform

Andy F andyf274 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 13:52:23 PST 2005

>Chip Berlet wrote:
>
>Easy to make fun of the premise, but there really is
a >neofascist wing
>of the environmental movement.
>
>Check out some of the links on this page from PRA:
>http://www.publiceye.org/sucker_punch/Right-Wing_Populism.htm

I don't mean to dismiss the notion of such a thing, but at some point keeping track of it becomes the political equivalent of birdwatching.

And before you get to the green Nazis in that link, you get this:

"Yet forms of left populism that lack a systemic analysis can find common ground with demagogic leaders who use the rhetoric of right wing populism. Left populism of this sort can demonstrate weaknesses that open it to such seduction.

According to scholar Margaret Canovan, this kind of left populism can involve the "[R]omanticization of the people by intellectuals who turn against elitism and technological progress, who idealize the poor...assume that ‘the people’ are united, reject ordinary politics in favor of spontaneous popular revolution, but are inclined to accept the claims of charismatic leaders that they represent the masses.”

Much of the above describes movements bigger and closer to home than goosestepping enviros. Consider the following:

--- amadeus amadeus <amadeus482000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The point is that green theory AND practice are not
> incompatible with a fascist program, and the former
> can easily serve the latter to the uninitiated and
> (possibly very) angry.

What green theory are you talking about? A social safety net, sporting organizations, a highway system and affordable cars are compatible with a fascist program too. Does that make them incompatible with a progressive program?

> An overlapping goal here, as
> someone else in the thread mentioned, is the
> exclusion
> and often suppression of working class politics.
> This
> is not to say that there aren't greens, such as the
> Green Party in the US, who are working at least in
> theory in the interest of labor. But what's
> frightening is when we hear various types of
> environmentalists railing against the excesses of
> working people and the overpopulation of the third
> world.

What's frightening about it? Is anything that "working people" (however you define that) do sacrosanct? Voting for Bush?

Andy