[lbo-talk] the Green Nazi platform

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Thu Mar 24 13:55:25 PST 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Chris Doss wrote:
>
>>Since, if you do the math, following current trends,
>>in a few hundred years the total mass of human beings
>>will outnumber that of the Earth, clearly it has some meaning.
>
> Following what trends? Pop growth is slowing.
>
> AVERAGE ANNUAL POPULATION GROWTH
> by World Bank country grouping
>
> 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
> world 2.0% 1.9% 1.7% 1.4% 1.2%
> low income 2.4% 2.5% 2.4% 2.1% 1.8%
> middle income 2.1% 1.9% 1.6% 1.2% 0.9%
> high income 1.1% 0.8% 0.6% 0.7% 0.6%

its still growing, yes? plus, considering that both china and india (which account for what 1/3rd of world population?) *have* and *do* use population control measures (or programmes), which those chris is responding to oppose, you should adjust the above numbers to include the "missing dead" (if that's the right term i have heard used).

i do not know about the mass of earth / mass of humans ratio, and i am too lazy to calculate the possible approach to unity, adjusting for decrease in the % growth (my guess is that the earth at 6x10**24kg is well ahead of the 6 billion people, even at 100kg each = 6x10**11kg -- note: not adjusting the mass of earth for the mass of people ;-)).

--ravi