[lbo-talk] India, Russia: Old friends, new relations

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Thu Mar 24 15:55:40 PST 2005

Chris Doss wrote:

uvj at vsnl.com wrote:
> We must be
> sensitive to the fact that times have changed and we
> cannot go back to the old
> Indo-Soviet
> relationship dominated more often than not by
> sentimentalism in India
> and misperceptions abroad.

> Ulhas, what's meant by "sentamentalism" here?

By that is implied a friendly relationship based on emotions such as gratitude and admiration built on the history of the Soviet assistance during the Cold War years, as against relationship based on the hard headed recognition of current common interests and goals. But I am not sure which specific decisions of the Cold War era the writer is referring to.

Ulhas