[lbo-talk] Shaivo finale on my part (for real)

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 24 20:44:16 PST 2005

> As I told Kelley, I agree with Nat Hentoff that there is no
> convincing evidence that Terri expressed a desire not to be kept
> alive. Her parents don't either. Who would you believe - a husband
> who waited 7 years to say that Terri told him she would want to die
> and now has a new family in his life - or a mother and father who
> have no conflict of interest. I'm with the parents, though I think
> they picked an atrocious spokesperson and I dislike the way the
> Christain right has taken over this issue. It is a disability issue.
>
> Marta

You make it sound like he just woke up one day and said "hey wait a minute, now I remember, she didn't want to live this way" which is totally bogus. He has been saying the same thing since day one. He hasn't changed his opinion one time nor has he changed what he claims her wishes were. My SO has told me the same thing. If she has a problem like this I can't hold out hope for a few years and then reluctantly agree that the experts are all right and she isn't going to improve so I'll abide by her wishes? That's what you want to deny the husband in this instance. The parents have no rights over their daughter. Just because they can't see that she physically is not capable of improving or have some weird nonsensical religious prohibition against pulling the plug makes no difference. It isn't their decision. It is the husbands. It has to be someones and in this case it's his.

John Thornton