[lbo-talk] Shaivo finale on my part (for real)

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 24 21:14:58 PST 2005

On 25 Mar 2005 at 0:07, snitsnat wrote:

> At 11:44 PM 3/24/2005, jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> > It isn't their decision. It is the husbands. It has to be someones
> >and in this case it's his.
>
> this is why the whole case is absurb, as Jordy pointed out. Schiavo could
> have just made the decision. Given the split in the family, he went to the
> courts to turn over the decision to them. Yes, he testified as to what he
> believed -- after 6 years of trying to care for at home, sending her to CA
> for experimental treatment, putting her in a good facility in Brandon, and
> then one in Largo where she rec'd aggressive phys therapy and speech
> therapy. His actions also meant that he was giving the parents the legal
> standing to put their best case forward as to what they believed she wanted.

Count me in with the misinformed then. I thought the parents took it to court to overturn his decision. I wonder why he turned it over to the courts? Maybe he couldn't stand to make the decision himself? It's a sucky position to be in and not a pleasant decision to make which ever way you decide but abdicating that responsibility seems odd. I better make sure my SO is clear that she is not to do this. Fighting to pull the plug has got to be even harder on a person than deciding to do so in the first place.

John Thornton