[lbo-talk] Shaivo finale on my part (for real)

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Thu Mar 24 22:27:29 PST 2005

On Mar 24, 2005, at 9:55 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:

> I say all this reluctantly, because I respect Marta's work
> immensely. However, her brazen disregard for the facts of
> the case--and the rigorous, repeated legal procedures to
> clarify the facts of the case--is disturbing to me.

"Facts don't do what I want them to." David Byrne

I understand the logic of Marta's position. Sometimes law is used in a way that makes respect for law bad. I think she's wrong in this case, but it's not like there isn't an argument on her side to be made.

What Tom posted a bit ago was exactly on target: This case is an issue because the part of the concern which should be private--an end of life decision about an individual--has been made public rather than private, whereas the part which should be public--who pays for the care--has been kept private. There's where the focus of a broader movement should be.

John A