[lbo-talk] Perry Mason

lweiger at umich.edu lweiger at umich.edu
Fri Mar 25 10:00:10 PST 2005

> Miles writes:
>
> > This is exactly what disturbs me about this case: people who
> > have heard partial and biased media representations of the
> > family members weigh in as if they have all the relevant
> > information.
>
> Is this a nice summary of this mailing list? :-)
>
> In the US, this kind of activity is high sport: and I blame Perry Mason.
> A 22 minute show to describe crime, evidence, trial, and decision by 12
> peers. That's all it should take to figure it out, right?
>
> /jordan

How much time would it take to infer the guilt of OJ Simpson from a cursory glance at the most damning evidence? I'd say about a minute; five tops.

I wish Marta would cease her struggle for vegetable rights--that our concern ought to be focused on those capable of thought and feeling seems elementary. But I was under the impression that perhaps Schiavo isn't a vegetable. (I could be dead wrong about that. Though I haven't paid much attention to the case, it's apparent that there's a lot of bullshit floating around out there.)

-- Luke