[lbo-talk] Russell Stover makes delicious chocolate crosses forEaster

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 25 13:22:44 PST 2005

>From: "B." <docile_body at yahoo.com>
>
>A mass-produced chocolate cross is being sold this
>Easter by Russell Stover Candies Inc....
>However, not all Christians are happy about it.
>Chomping on a chocolate cross can be offensive to
>some, said Joseph McAleer, a spokesman for the Roman
>Catholic diocese in Bridgeport, Conn.
>
>"The cross should be venerated, not eaten, nor tossed
>casually in an Easter basket beside the jelly beans
>and marshmallow Peeps," he said. "It's insulting."

False dichotomy, Mr. McAleer. What about Jesus, who is both venerated *and* eaten?

McAleer seems to have forgotten that Christianity's central rite is the Eucharist, where the whole point is to take a bite of the messiah in the form of a wafer. The wording of the ceremony comes right from the Bible and the lips of God-Man himself (Corinthians 11:23-24): "... the Lord Jesus the [same] night in which he was betrayed took bread: And when he had given thanks, he brake [it], and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me."

It seems to me if the devout want to devour both their savior and and the instrument of his temporal destruction, what can one say but bon appetit.

Carl