[lbo-talk] the Green Nazi platform

amadeus amadeus amadeus482000 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 26 08:57:09 PST 2005

I'm sure at a certain point in Germany, observing the beginnings of Hitler's antics would've seemed a lot like birdwatching too. Ever seen the movie "Max"? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290210/plotsummary

> "Yet forms of left populism that lack a systemic
> analysis can find common ground with demagogic
> leaders
> who use the rhetoric of right wing populism. Left
> populism of this sort can demonstrate weaknesses
> that
> open it to such seduction.

This is precisely my concern, and why I think it's necessary for discussion. I doubt a lot of well-meaning US leftists would be capable of arguing with a well-spoken, knowledgeable fascist. And that scares the shit out of me.

> --- amadeus amadeus <amadeus482000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > The point is that green theory AND practice are
> not
> > incompatible with a fascist program, and the
> former
> > can easily serve the latter to the uninitiated and
> > (possibly very) angry.
>
> What green theory are you talking about? A social
> safety net, sporting organizations, a highway system
> and affordable cars are compatible with a fascist
> program too. Does that make them incompatible with
> progressive program?

Nope. Nor does it make them compatible. That's my point.

> > An overlapping goal here, as
> > someone else in the thread mentioned, is the
> > exclusion
> > and often suppression of working class politics.
> > This
> > is not to say that there aren't greens, such as
> the
> > Green Party in the US, who are working at least in
> > theory in the interest of labor. But what's
> > frightening is when we hear various types of
> > environmentalists railing against the excesses of
> > working people and the overpopulation of the third
> > world.
>
> What's frightening about it? Is anything that
> "working people" (however you define that) do
> sacrosanct? Voting for Bush?

Nothing is sacrosanct-- and the activities of left "greens" of various ilk, or anyone else, shouldn't be either. Is the assumption that the working class, and not the capitalists, are primarily responsible for the destruction of the environment? (And is the assertion that the majority of the working class in the United States voted for Bush correct?) What's "frightening" is that we've seen all this before, and if we don't see the forest for the trees (no pun intended!) this time, we're in deep shit. --adx

"Mary Poppins is alive and well in Argentina, she sends her regards." - Rod McKuen, The Mud Kids