[lbo-talk] Re: worker freedom of choice

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 26 17:45:32 PST 2005

tully:

In fact, from what I'm seeing here, it looks like this list is plumb loaded with people making so much money that they have enough extra to play the money and investment markets and contribute even more to the mess we're in.

<snip>

I'm trying to figure out what it takes to get a discussion going here.

Actually, a hefty percentage of the folks in this neighborhood are, as the saying goes, *of modest means*.

No doubt you tuned into a post by one of the apparent investment adepts -- perhaps Jordan hugging the curves of the housing market with the steely-eyed confidence of a Speed Racer -- and concluded that everyone was enjoying cognac at poolside by moonlight.

Or, if that image displeases, fill in your favorite visual of the well-to-do melodramatically enjoying the poisoned fruits of excess.

But that's surely not the case.

And regarding discussion...

Well I think there has been a discussion though not a comprehensive one nor, I suspect, the one you'd like to see and participate in. Your idea -- if I'm understanding accurately -- that the proper focus of the Left is correcting its consumption habits and convincing others to follow, as opposed to political action, is a non-starter for many people.

Not, I believe, because the idea is completely merit-free but because it ignores the mechanics of global capital and places our hope in -- if you'll forgive the simplification -- *morally shopping our way to freedom.*

This can be put another way: if I choose to only buy organic food (to select a popular example of correct shopping) and, going further, avoid major outlets such as Whole Foods and only support co-opts and the like, am I really altering the deep structures of our world by even little bit?

If so, how can this change be amplified?

.d.