[lbo-talk] Israel's Ambassador to the US states that Bush gave his approval to Israel keeping settlement blocs

Bryan bryan at indymedia.org.il
Sun Mar 27 07:40:19 PST 2005

Last week there was a contraversy in Israel when two senior U.S. envoys met PM Sharon stating that the expansion of Ma'ale Adumim settlement was in violation of a US backed peace plan (http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/556979.html)

However, today, "Israel's Ambassador to the United States Danny Ayalon, responding Sunday to a controversy surrounding American policy on the Middle East, said that President George W. Bush unequivocally supports Israel's stance that major West Bank settlement blocs are to be part of the Jewish state under a future peace treaty."

[...]

Ayalon said he read the Foreign Ministry transcripts of the meeting, and "I can state with full authority that not even one word was mentioned regarding settlement blocs."

According to Ayalon, "The Americans were also very surprised by this, both Kurtzer, who did not say these words, and also the White House, which called early in the morning to say that [the Yedioth account] was utterly baseless, and that the understandings were in place as before.

"I even discerned a certain astonishment and a bit of rage over the leak, and over the inaccuracy, the distortions of the leak."

Asked if Bush was determined in his support of Israel's stance that Ariel, Ma'aleh Adumim and other large settlement blocs would remain within Israel's final-status borders, Ayalon replied "Certainly. Unequivocally."

"On the basis of contacts with all administration officials, this is certainly the position, and I stand behind this."

[..]

And US Secretary of State Cunnilingus Rice seems to confirm Ayalon's statments:

Over the weekend, the American administration reiterated the Bush's promises to Sharon at their previous meeting in April 2004, which centered on the recognition that the settlement blocs would remain in Israel's hands in a future final status agreement with the Palestinians.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, speaking to Israel Radio at the weekend, said "We do not appreciate people trying to create confusion where there is no confusion."

"I understand this is a big issue in Israel but no one should say there's no agreement between our two governments. That's wrong. There is; it was reached on April 14 last year and it's clear."

"While we will not prejudice the outcome of final status negotiations, the changes on the ground, the `existing major Israeli population centers' will have to be taken in account in any final status negotiations," she said.

Rice went further than the vague phrasing of Bush's letter and made it clear that the term "Israeli population centers" refers directly to the "large settlement blocs."

For the rest: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/557265.html