[lbo-talk] Re: worker freedom of choice

tully tully at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 27 11:30:29 PST 2005

On Sunday 27 March 2005 11:02 am, Michael Pugliese wrote:
> An anarchist (?) on the list who has the bad habit of posting on
>marxmail (weird place for an anarchist to post)

Some of us are interested in discussing different values on lists, like I did when I subbed to the right wing list. Learned alot, especially about the nature of voluntariness. Right wingers often do contribute to charitable causes, but only when its voluntary. They want nothing to do with forced charity, which is how they view much of their taxes. And I must admit to some heavy anarchist leanings myself. I'd like to see the power of government decentralized back down to the lowest levels, pulling as much as possible away from the overly powerful centralized gov't we now have. The rightwingers could resonate to that.

I also see little point in staying with "my kind" as I don't learn much from those who agree with me and preaching to choirs doesn't do much...

>After my Dad died in Jan. 2003 of mesothlioma (thanks to the U.S.
>Air Force) my ste-Mom and Sister set up a trust acct w/ Fidelity
>Investments for my retirement, w/ the portion in my Dad's will, for
>me. Has a little over 30K in it now, all municipal bonds and safe,
>conservative stocks. Had about 34K in it, before I tapped 3K out of
it
>last yr, when California unemployment insurance ran out. I don't
>expect ever to own a house, but, even being a renter in a small
studio
>or one bedroom apt, in twenty yrs. my retirement days, I expect that
>whatever is left in the acct. then, won't go that far. My Social
>Security $ right now, if I retired in 2005, would be a little over
>$300 a month, a kingly sum.

34K ain't much. If there is anyway you can get some equity in something, even if its just a used trailer on 1/8 acre lot, you'd not be continually beat up so bad by the renting world, which will suck you dry.

--tully