[lbo-talk] voluntary simplicity as secularized calvinism (or, how to achieve a state of grace by buying locally)

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Mar 27 19:10:53 PST 2005

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Tom Walker wrote:

> Kelley wrote,
>
>> / Good. I killfiled him. My experience with voluntary simplicity
>> Chucklefucks
> />/ is that no amount of talking changes a thing.
>
> Carrol wrote,
>
> />Tully silly politics, in other words, may be merely a
>> bewitchment by bourgeois ideology, not any particular pathology on his
>> own part.
>

> A close reading of Tully's posts would suggest that "he" is a she. And a more
> careful reading of what she wrote would also suggest nothing particularly
> silly or chucklefuckish about her politics or ideas. In fact, she has been
> remarkably respectful given the gratuitous abuse that has been directed at
> her. Don't folks on the "left" have enough enemies without making new ones
> out of everyone that doesn't buy 100% what you happen to be thinking at this
> particular moment.

--Close reading? Even casual reading of Tully's recent posts makes it clear that she's a she! It's interesting to me that everybody keeps referring to Tully as a he. --A person engaging in political debate? Gotta be a man. (Gender politics in action--)

That said, I have to side with C. and Kel on the issue that Tully brings up: only in a hyperconsumer culture like the U. S. would a person conflate individual purchasing decisions and political activity.

Miles