[lbo-talk] Ward Churchill & 9-11

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 28 10:20:42 PST 2005

I went to the Friday night event at the Women's Building which was co-sponsored by KPFA and organized by the so-called 'anarchist' AK Press people who in 'true anarchist spirit' only allowed written questions which they selected (i.e. censored) and handed to Churchill one by one to read and answer. The AK Press also provided 'security' for Churchill presumably to ward off the members of the press who have been trailing him around the country. As Churchill spoke he was flanked by a group of AK Press people with a decidedly martial sense of purpose - one even wore dark sunglasses for effect. Afterwards some of us joked that these were his own 'Little Eichmanns'. Needless to say my question as to how he reconciles the fact that his 'roosting chickens' thesis is consistent with the 'war on terror' mythology was not asked. A badly phrased 9-11 question did get through. He first said "as to what actually happened on 9-11, I'm open to different theories, I have not seen any evidence" (to which I would of course say - well why don't you at least examine it!) - or something to that effect. At this point there was scattered clapping. Then he added "But, the problem with the idea that it was an inside job is that it suggests that brown people are not capable of such feats and gives all the credit to the white man, another master race fantasy". Many people seemed impressed by this facile analysis - although a couple of people shouted loudly "that's ridiculous!".

Joe W.