[lbo-talk] Both Sides Now, was the Green Nazi platform

tully tully at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 28 12:33:59 PST 2005

A Chahta (Choctaw) friend of mine says that all life forms a hoop, with each of us on different places on that hoop looking toward the center truth. Those on opposite sides of the hoop see very different views, each seeing a perspective that is hidden from the view of the other side. Truth is a composite of both, or all sides. As he put it, "For every warrior crying for blood, there must be a mother crying for the life of her child." Both sides are required.

This simple metaphor means alot to me as does this Chahta man, who politically I disagree with constantly. Even as we move around on the hoop, we still seem to always be at opposite spectrums, even seeming to switch sides in odd little ways. But our love for each other has been there from the beginning and it has never diminished over the years, even thru our most heated and loud political discussions.

I have to believe that it is impossible for humans to see both sides of any given issue at the same time. The first time I clearly saw the opposite side was when a particularly eloquent speaker made me see the full immorality of abortion. For a period of time, I saw it clearly, the morality issue dwarfing to insigificance over all other "freedom of choice" issues I had previously deemed so important. Yet it didn't last. I fell back to the "its not my place to judge how others must choose" view and have since been unable to shake that perspective.

Soon after that first experience, I started having more frequent glimpses of the "other side" for other issues and I ended up in a state of confusion that left my entire carefully constructed "non contradictory" platform of personal philosophy in ruin. I've not recovered and now I suspect that recovery of some new rigid perspective on the world is not a desirable goal, that maybe it is more important to try to see a greater number of different perspectives, in order to try to gain a better view of the truth.

--tully