[lbo-talk] New Imperialism?

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Mon Mar 28 17:02:51 PST 2005

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>I think Leo Panitch has developed a good theory of contemporary
>imperialism which can be summarized as a system of interlocking dependencies
>among the so-called core states.

What's the aim of contemporary imperialism as a system of interlocking dependencies among the so-called core states? Whether Lenin's theory was adequate is a different question, but in Lenin's theory, imperialism was a system of exploitation (extraction of surplus value) and domination. There is no comparable basis in Panitch's theory.

> But there's no need to take my word for it. You can examine this yourself.
audio (interview with Doug) --

><http://shout.lbo-talk.org:8000/content/lbo/RadioArchive/2004/04_03_25_16.pls >

Sorry, Panitch is not convincing. He doesn't seem know much about the "Third World" either.

Ulhas