[lbo-talk] Disability Rights National Spokespersons statement

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 28 21:55:21 PST 2005

Jim Farmelant wrote:

> Which under Florida law is good enough for the courts. Indeed,
> as I understand it, the same is true in most states.

The idea that there is "just his word" is incorrect. Court documents show that her siblings and parents both admitted Terri Schiavo had made statements to this effect. They claim that with advances in medicine she would not feel that way today about her current state. If we could grow her a new brain their contention would have merit but we cannot. There is certainly no compelling evidence for the parents current claim but the courts have found the statements from Michael, Terri's parents, her siblings and two of her friends to be extremely compelling evidence for her wishes. Stating otherwise doesn't make it so. [JT]

> >A prominent expert filed an affidavit that Terri Schindler-Schiavo
> >can swallow her own saliva, and could potentially be weaned from
> >the feeding tube and recover some speech, so that she could indicate
> > her own wishes.

> And this prominent "expert" is . . ? [JF]

The amazing Dr. Hammesfahr. Who tells people he was nominated for a Nobel Prize when he was not. He is a quack but don't take my word for it check out QuackWatch for information on his incredible works. http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Tests/tcd.html [JT]

> >She has a severe brain injury, yet has not undergone the
> >rehabilitation that is typically given to people with this type of
> >disability. People with severe cognitive disabilities are devalued
> >as lives not worth living.
>
> As I understand it she did undergo agressive therapy and aggressive
> attempts at rehabilitation. Those treatments just didn't take because
> of the extreme severity of her injury. [JF]

She underwent the best therapy money can buy for several years. They went so far as to have an experimental brain implant that also failed to produce the desired results. The Disability Rights Spokesperson is either ignorant of these facts (unlikely in my opinion) or deliberately misrepresenting the known facts to win support. This is the really sad part of this case, far more so than the fate of Terri Schiavo. Disability activists have hitched their wagon to this thing, trying to make a case for Schiavo being disabled undermines the work of lots of good people in exchange for no gains. Labeling Schiavo disabled hurts everyone who is disabled.

John Thornton