[lbo-talk] RE: lbo-talk Digest/ring tones

Celi Ben cpthron at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 29 08:17:21 PST 2005

someone said there was a Time poll where they said what's your opinion of Ann Coulter, and it was 10% good, 10% bad, and 80% hadn't heard of her, which is refreshing. I couldn't find that at the site, but they had a featured story about how the youth are driving new technology and innovation, and the market will be catering to them in the future. But the example they devoted the article to was cell phone ring tones. The youth all use cell phones at a higher frequency in high school than adults do, and they don't just make calls and text message, but they are basically driving future economic growth by buying: individualized ring tones and wallpaper. Which for some reason I would expect to spend as much on in a yearly budget as roles of masking tape. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1042443,00.html Companies are busy brainstorming new individualized cell phone entertainment to make billions, like listening to music by dialing a number and ordering songs. I mean, to hell with the essential parts of the economy for providing transportation, food, housing, education, and healthcare - ring tones! with text messaging, I still don't see why waiting until you get to a keyboard so you don't get tendonitis, or even saving your thoughts until you see your friend isn't a lot more efficient unless it is for friends in another room in high school where they aren't allowed to get up and walk over to them.

We covered the UC Berkeley ethnic studies/academic freedom forum. http://www.indybay.org/education/ where he touches on Brown. My friend and I agree that even though Churchill is a good speaker, he keeps failing to understand how many others are failing to understand him,so he isn't picking up on social cues on one hand, but society isn't picking up on social cues by failing to be aware of what's going on in the rest of the world and the laundry list of incidents in his book... and there is quite a bit riding on this - , there are great speakers who can communicate how millions of people are poor in other countries due to U.S. economic policy, and many are killed or terrorized by military intervention, or local military funding from the U.S., and there is an ethical duty to do something about it. But none of these speakers would ever be plucked out for the national stage. But Churchill for instance was trying to describe a symbolic example of Eichmanns (and can't he pick another nonGerman manager of atrocity for once?) with this story about a racist bar in the financial district, but there are other more simple, powerful examples he could have chosen.

_________________________________________________________________ Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee® Security. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963