[lbo-talk] New Imperialism?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 29 09:56:30 PST 2005

uvj at vsnl.com wrote:

>Hierarchies have always existed, within each nation-state and
>internationally. Can we say hierarchy = empire?

But this is much more systematic - look at the structure of international bodies: WB/IMF dominated by the rich countries, U.S. has blocking but not determining vote; NATO, a US-dominated institution for keeping Europe in line; the UN Security council, with 5 veto members. Or international currencies, with the US dollar at the center (that position now under threat, but that's a rather recent development, and there's still a long way to go). Or in the Western Hemisphere, all countries have relations with the US, with the US dominating the bilateral relations, but the non-US countries having little relation with each other. It's a very nice pyramid structure, with one stone on top - but a stone that wouldn't be there if all the others weren't supporting it.

Doug