[lbo-talk] New Imperialism?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Mar 29 13:56:39 PST 2005

> Miles Jackson wrote:
>
> >Nonhierarchical social arrangements are relatively common in human
> >societies; people just take them for granted. (e.g., peer groups,
> >many family relationships, food co-ops, my local bike repair
> >collective, most open source software projects, lots of bands,
> >just to draw a few examples from our own society.)
>
> Those are pretty small groups, and I'll bet lots of them have hidden
> hierarchies.
>
> Doug

Exactly. Every human society in history of mankind developed hierarchies. I do not think there is any exception to that rule, save for small groups existing for a relatively short time period (i.e. a fraction of individual person's life time).

Family is probably one of the most hierarchical arrangements - and the prototype of religious yearnings. What is god if not a sublime concept of a powerful parent figure that controls every aspect of child's life, taking care of his needs, telling them what to do and think, and protecting him from the forces he cannot understand?

Wojtek