[lbo-talk] Re: New (or Old) Imperialism

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 14:10:31 PST 2005

Old imperialism question. Reading Donald Kagan's short Pelopponesian War. Yes, he's a bad guy, but he's a real scholar of this subject. Anyway, he throws off the observatiuon that most 18th, 19th and 20th century empires have been net economic losses to the metropolis and have been maintained for reasons of prestige -- sort of a Hobson-Schumpter theory. Is there a good review of whether that is true?