[lbo-talk] A picture tells a thousand words

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Mar 29 21:52:25 PST 2005

At 12:16 AM 3/30/2005, Tom Walker wrote:

>naked bike rides,

ow ow ow owie! doesn't that hurt?

Funny though, I didn't read Leigh's entire message, but clicked the link first. It reminded me of one of sites I posted here. A guy has a huge collection of left "fucking nuts" that he photographed at the SF antiwar demo. The antiwar photos definitely looked fucking nuttier.

I also thought: "Do any of us believe in something so much we'd get all holy roller like that? Weep and wail?" Aren't the chants and other ritualistic activities in an antiwar demo the same thing?" (and doesn't solidarity need rituals anyway?)

OTOH, I think LBO ought to be a like a teacher's lounge, where we can come and bitch sometimes. If you listen to teachers at the teach soc list, they don't always sound like they're happy with their students. Sometimes, other list members take them to task for dismissing students or acting superior. But, at the end of the day, they go home, recuperate, and go back to work the next day, refreshed and ready to be the best teachers they can be.

I've spoken with Leigh before about how he spends his time talking with people about the war. He can explain it more. I get the distinct impression that, like the teachers in the teachers' lounge, he goes right back out to that street corner every day, trying to be the best human being he can be, talking with people, treating them with respect and dignity.

Oh, the graphic representation of search results is fun: www.kartoo.com

Also: anyone interested in a 12 minute film created by sociology students after reading Eli Anderson's _Code of the Streets_? They walked the section of Philly where Anderson's done 25 years of ethnographic research. Good stuff. I'll put it up for downloading, if so.

Kelley (plays a man on the Internet)