[lbo-talk] Nature: For or Against?

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Wed Mar 30 09:23:05 PST 2005

On Mar 30, 2005, at 12:05 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> It seems to me that arguments from "our nature" are always inadvisable
> even when the conclusion argued is valid. So, there is nothing in our
> nature that prevents us from living WITH states or imperial states FOR
> THE REST OF HISTORY.
>
> Arguments from nature are always double edged.

I've been thinking for a long time about the ideas of nature and natural, and have gotten some good reading suggestions from listmembers about them. Anyone have any new readings to throw in for me? I'll mention one which impressed me a lot: _Rising Tide: The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927 and How It Changed America_ by John M. Barry.

John A