[lbo-talk] blogspot as guerilla marketing?

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Mar 30 09:39:38 PST 2005

At 12:00 PM 3/30/2005, Carrol Cox wrote:

>And in any case I am usually more interested in the explanation than the
>phenomena when the latter are trivial (as apparently they are in this
>case).

You are right. My bad. It's a blog that purports to be written by Terry. Each entry is entitled with the kinds of gurgles they imagine terri to make.

I'm overposting because I'm starting to wonder if this isn't a great big joke on those who're supporting Schiavor. Did you notice that the links on the site are all pointing at sites that defend the Schindlers' position in this case. It's not like they're pointing at links to the far rightnut crowd. perfectly respectable stuff in the links, only a few seem way out there to me.

It may well be a clever form of what they call guerilla marketing. You get people to start forwarding e=mail and linking to the site via the blog circuit as a way of getting free publicity.

The most famous case of this was actually, IIRC, a university research experiment created by Jonah Peretti. Look in the list's archives for our posts discussing it at the time.

Jonah sent an e-mail to friends about his attempts to get Nike to place anti-sweatshop phrases on its sneakers. You could order Nikes, customized.

I smelled poo. If you are someone who's part of the anti-sweatshop movement, then why are you even ordering Nikes to begin with?

Jonah wasn't all that incere about those sneakers. He was testing social network theories as part of his MIT studies in communications and marketing on the Internet.

He later did the same with www.blackpeopleloveus.com. It's a site that makes fun of liberal and pwog tendencies to wear their black friendships on their sleeves, as if that it's important. "I'm not racist, 'coz black people love me". It was a way of using sarchasm to make social commentary.

The other one you may remember is the telephone number. You would get an email telling to make a toll-free phone call to hear something really funny on an answering machine. It was a duck quack. Oh so funny! Well, it apparently worked pretty well, pushing to company to the forefront of consumer attention.

And that's the end of today's short history of 'net marketing and my shameless overposting!

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling