[lbo-talk] Pull the plug now!

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Mar 30 13:31:39 PST 2005

> VATICAN CITY (AP) - Pope John Paul II is getting
> nutrition from a feeding tube through the nose, the
> Vatican said on Wednesday, shortly after the frail
> pontiff appeared at his window in St. Peter's Square
> and unsuccessfully tried to speak.
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-4901493,00.html

Which makes me wonder what will happen if he pulls a Schiavo? Are they going to keep him in a vegetative state? If so, will he still be a pope, which would create an interesting possibility of a brain dead man heading the Roman Catholic Church? Or they would pull a plug on him to avoid that interesting possibility and embarrassments in may create? But that may lead to questions why they did not want to do the same to Schiavo? Or perhaps they will poison him (as they did to some of his predecessors) to avoid any PR complications.

Wojtek