[lbo-talk] New Imperialism?

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Wed Mar 30 13:38:54 PST 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

>It is funny to sit in Toronto, a
> prosperous and comfortable city, and hear Leo Panitch talk about
> Canada's subordinate role.

Panitch also talked about IMF's structural adjustment programme, when you interviewed him. This is no doubt important in some parts of the world, but _if we consider Asia_, the picture is different. The problem most major Asian countries face (I think Indonesia is an exception here)is that of managing large FX reserves. e.g. IMF regards India as a creditor nation. Structural adjustment programme of IMF is not really a concern at the moment. Similarly, the relative importance of WB has declined, since there is greater reliance on FDI and portfolio investment. As for the WTO, exports are boomimg. See China's exports. India's exports have doubled in previous ten years.

Ulhas